He has made several wood pieces for himself and my mother. I saw the beautiful work he was doing and I asked him to build me a cedar chest several years ago. I have always wanted a cedar chest and have never had one. Over the years I watched as he would put other people's request in front of mine. I actually had given up on the idea that it was going to be made which was alright since I was watching his health decline. I was disappointed but I wasn't angry.
Then I got word that he was making my cedar chest when he asked Scott for some money to help cover the costs. I was so excited and couldn't wait to see it. One day I finally got to see what he had created. It was so beautiful! With each process it just continued to get more and more beautiful. Then it was done and I got to bring it home. I was cleaning out some things and I came upon my Grandmother's baby bonnet. I sat and looked at it and thought, I wish I had somewhere safe to put this. Then it dawned on me that I finally had something for my keepsakes. I wrapped the bonnet in tissue paper and placed it safely in my beautiful new cedar chest.
There will never be enough words or the right words to describe how precious this cedar chest is to me. It was made with lots of love and sacrifice. I will treasure it forever. Thank you Dad!

8 comments:
Jill, it is so beautiful. I didn't realize your dad was so talented. That is something that I know will be treasured for many generations!
Wow...that is gorgeous! Can your Dad make me one too?
LOTS OF TEARS, I understand what a treasure it will be coming from your father. It is BEAUTIFUL!
ah... While I was commenting on your post. The song on my blog was "there you'll be" by Faith Hill It is my song for my Dad. SO HOW FITTING! When you see your cedar chest for years to come "THERE HE'll BE"
That is absolutely beautiful! I can't believe your dad made that! Amazing! What a wonderful gift! And just think how much that is going to not only mean to you, but others in your family as you pass it on. It is going to be treasured for years and years to come!
How beautiful!
I so agree! Dad is fantastic the chest is fantastic! He never does anything half way, it is always first class.
Aren't we soooo lucky to have him?
That is such a beautiful chest! I love that he did this for you. I didn't know he was so good with wood! What a wonderful gift.
Post a Comment