Saturday, February 2, 2008

Our Current Hurdle


Well life has seen fit to throw us a hurdle this week, and just when for a quiet moment things where going so well for everyone in the family.

We found out this week that Daniel has type A Diabetes. (This means he will be on insulin the rest of his life) It's been a little hard to swallow but we are regrouping and we are so thankful that the Lord has been watching over us during this time!

Daniel was so sick that he was a day or two away from being in a coma and ending up in the hospital. But from what we credit to the Lord's hand we had several things happen that made Dan get into the Doctor before it was hospital time.

It has been hard with Daniel being three hours away from us. I wanted so much to put my arms around him and comfort him and my heart ached so much that I wasn't with him when he found out the news and that I couldn't ease his disappointment.

He had his moment of grief and now he is facing it head on and learning what he needs to know to take care of himself. (This was especially a hard blow for a kid who loves food and loves to eat, and eat often. Now it means figuring out what he is going to eat so he can give himself a shot and then checking up on it later.)

I'm going down tomorrow to meet with his specialist and learn about food, shots, and anything else I need to know. I'm going to have to learn to cook a little different when he is around. It might be good for all of us to eat a little healthier!

I'm proud of this young man! He is so awesome

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I am sad that I can't see any of your writing! I can see the picture but that is it. I hope everything is well and you had a great time at dland.

Danielle said...

I am so glad that his diabetes was caught at a time before there were too many complications. He has such a loving family that will suppor thim through this - I am thinking of you guys!

Melinda said...

Dang it! I still can't see any writing! Have fun at my parents. You will be there for my dad's bday party! I am jelous.

So I am asuming that Daniel has diabetes? How scary! I hope he is doing okay. My dad got it a few years ago. Have a good visit and things go well. We will keep you in our prayers.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

My husband Phillip developed Type I diabetes on his mission. He eats pretty much anything he wants, then gauges how much insulin he needs to inject to compensate. It's a hassle, but you learn to deal with it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask us. Love to Daniel.

Christine said...

Dan! Dan! He's our man! If he can't do it, NOBODY can!