Saturday, April 4, 2009

COOKIN' KIDS

I love that my kids love to cook. Everyone of my children love to watch the Food Network and then take their ideas to the kitchen and explore and create. Christine evens wishes that Paula Deen was her mom.

Christine is a fantastic cook! She loves noodles, Mexican style food and dips for crackers or chips. She made the best fish tacos for Carter's birthday dinner with the halibut that Brad caught when he went to Alaska last year.

Daniel loves spicy food. The hotter the better for him. We would watch the Food channel and he would tell me how we needed to change a recipe or come up with ideas of how to make a recipe better. He could cook up some of the best meals (just have the tums ready because he loved to spice it up).

Jason has just recently found this to be fun. Jason loves sweets and tends to go for making desserts, he also loves pasta. He made this cake today and it taste awesome! He made a caramel frosting that went in the middle and then just a buttercream frosting with red coloring for the outside. I was pretty amazed at how it tasted because it didn't look as good as it tasted. He learned that you need to make the frosting more stiff for it to look a little nicer.

I'm so glad that each of them enjoy experimenting and taking on the challenge of baking and cooking. I've always encouraged them to be in the kitchen with me and have asked for them to help out as much as I could get them to and I guess it has payed off.

4 comments:

Steve and Jen said...

Awesome Jason! Cooking is such a great skill for individuals (as well as others:-)
You are a wonderful cook, way to pass on your love to them!

Melinda said...

First off, Daniel looks so much like you! That is a great picture you got of him and that would be such a nice surprise.

I can't believe Carter is 5! He will be going to kindergarten next school year. That is crazy.

Our family loves the food network. Blake is now saying he wants to be a chef and Jason and I would love to take a cooking class together. I think I would love to go to culinary school when the kids are gone. That would be so great.

Libby said...

Yum, I think the cake looks fabulous. But I am a huge chocolate fan! I also love the food network. Good stuff.

Stephanie said...

It must be in our genes because I love to cook too and I'm passing it on to my kids. Luke, who is 6, has been telling me he wants to be a chef for years. Of course he says he wants to be a chef at either Subway or Wendy's but that will go away when he gets older. My daughter Brittany has now mastered our famous chocolate chip cookies. My husband told me a few months ago after she finally got them down that he could relax now. I asked him why, and he said "now if you die at least I know someone will know how to make your cookies". Nice huh!